Wednesday, October 24, 2007

World Series begins tonight

Days like today make me realize how significant Oct. 27, 2004 was to my life. People down here in Florida who just don't "get it" couldn't possibly understand how a World Series title could change an entire collective psyche of a region. But it did.

Instead of nervous, I feel optimistic. Instead of my stomach being in knots, I feel ready for whatever the "Baseball Gods" throw at us in the next week. I won't live and die with every error or save situation or bases-loaded jam. What a difference it was between the Tony Clark-Keith Foulke at-bat of 2004 and the Kenny Lofton fiasco of 2007. Yes, I was nervous and my heart was practically popping out of my chest, but I didn't have this overwhelming sense of doom that this team is never going to win it for my grandma, dad, me, etc.

If they win the World Series this year, I won't go outside and stare at the moon and think about all of my family who weren't around for 2004. I won't go leave a Red Sox hat at a grave site after the parade. Hell, I probably won't even make it up for the parade this time around.

Right now, it's just about finishing what we started in April. A team that finished (tied) with the best record in baseball has a chance to complete what it set out to do in Spring Training. This team was built to win a championship, and you'd be hard-pressed to find somebody in Boston who didn't consider the Red Sox the favorite to win. This season has been a hell of a ride, but there are still four wins to go.

If it doesn't work out, life will go on. But for all I've invested in this team in 21 years, I think I deserve another championship. It's midnight, Cinderella.

My pick: Sox in 6. Beckett dominates tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home