Monday, May 01, 2006

Patriots Draft

Sorry I've been neglecting my blog. For about a week, my school work had to come first. But my exams are over, summer has officially begun and life is good if you are Gator football players right about now...

The New England Patriots selected TWO Gators in the NFL Draft and proceeded to sign three more to free agent contracts. I always knew that Belichick and Urban Meyer were close... but this is ridiculous. (a good kind of ridiculous)

I love, love, LOVE the Chad Jackson second-round pick. Although I must admit that he has the potential to be just another Bethel Johnson. Jackson appears to have more tools than Bethel though, and I read that Mel Kiper thinks he has the best hands in college football (perhaps a bit of an overstatement). Kiper had Jackson as the 15th best-valued player in the draft, so I'd say getting Big Play Chad in the second round was a steal. With the Maroney pick in the first round, the Pats' offense just got a hell of a lot younger and more talented.

Now, about Maroney... I think the Patriots probably should have addressed their LB/CB/K needs first, but after reading this quote from Mike Shannahan about Laurence Maroney in MMQB, maybe I'm willing to change my mind:

"I loved him," Shanahan said. "I think the Patriots got a steal. An absolute steal. I think he's going to be the best back in the league."

Mel Kiper gave the Pats a B overall, with this to summarize their draft:

Laurence Maroney gives the Patriots a security blanket at running back. Wide receiver Chad Jackson was a nice pick in the second round and could have gone in the middle of the first. Tight end Dave Thomas has excellent hands and Garret Mills might be more of a fullback. Kicker Stephen Gostkowski was a reach in the fourth round (I didn't think any kickers would get drafted). New England had a great first day and a good second second day.

Note that no team got higher than a B+ (49ers)

Now, as for the Gator free agent signings... Herring and Brown were among the team captains for the Gators, which already shows they will fill in well in Belichick's "Team First, Individuals Second, No TO-type figures" team.

I hated Randy Hand all last season, and I think the inept Gator O-line was one of the main reasons that UF's offense was so unsuccesful last year. So naturally, I don't think Randy Hand will contribute anything to the Patriots.

Andy Staples, the Gator beat writer down at the Tampa Trib, pretty much called the Patriots' interest in the Gators. See link: http://www.tbo.com/sports/MGB959PIFME.html

"Then another thought struck. One or more of those three guys is going to be a New England Patriot. My guess is that Mincey will get the call during this weekend's NFL draft, because it makes too much sense."


Sawx-Yanks tonight. Thank GOD Doug Mirabelli is back. Only a few more 2006 offseason moves for Theo to undo. Let's continue with getting rid of Rudy Seanez. Hopefully he is the PTBNL in the 'Belli trade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home