Friday, February 17, 2006

Ozzie Guillen makes me smile.

Alex Rodriguez is yet again the target of some baseball bashing. The always outspoken Ozzie Guillen called A-Rod out in a recent interview with Sports Illustrated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2332682

The highlights of the interview:

"Alex was kissing Latino people's asses," Guillen, who's from Venezuela, said in the most recent issue of Sports Illustrated. "He knew he wasn't going to play for the Dominicans; he's not a Dominican!"
"I hate hypocrites: He's full of [expletive]," Guillen told Sports Illustrated. "The Dominican team doesn't need his ass. It's the same with [Nomar] Garciaparra playing for Mexico. Garciaparra only knows Cancun because he went to visit."

Nomar Garciaparra diss aside, I think this shows how incredibly disliked that A-Rod is all around baseball. Guillen's 'more Latin than thou' tirade is borderline ridiculous, though it shows what people will stoop to in order to take a cheap shot at A-Rod.

I hate A-Rod as much as the next person, but to imply that Rodriguez isn't Dominican is ridiculous. I have a Cuban boss who has never even been to Cuba, but considers herself more Cuban than American. Garciaparra's father's name is Ramon, and Ramon Garciaparra was born in Mexico. Nomar speaks fluent Spanish, as does A-Rod. These guys should be able to play wherever they feel allegiance to playing. Just look at Lenny Dinardo and Mike Piazza-- neither of them have ever lived in Italy, but their parents are Italian and they consider themselves Italian enough to play for Team Italy. Nobody is criticizing them.

I think Ozzie has a point that A-Rod was trying to kiss some Dominican ass. His wishy-washy "I'm Dominican... no wait I'm American..." act was tiresome, and ultimately just a publicity stunt.

Still, I have to admit that his quotes were pretty funny. I like a guy like Ozzie Guillen who isn't afraid to tell you what he thinks. My favorite part of watching the White Sox is when they mic up Ozzie Guillen. I'm almost glad that the ChiSox won the World Series last year, because that means we get to hear more of him on Sunday Night Baseball. The guys over at Sons of Sam Horn made a great observation-- I'm sure ESPN is counting down the days until Guillen retires and they can put him on Baseball Tonight with other knuckleheads like John Kruk- who are all talk, but absolutely no substance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home