Friday, February 24, 2006

The never-ending saga of Manny being Manny

Well, all of the boys reported to the first full day of workouts in Fort Myers today, except for... you guessed it... Manny Ramírez. Manny has been given special permission by the team to arrive whenever he damned well pleases, which is typical. Manny is probably my least favorite Red Sox player of all time, if you haven't figured that out yet. Last week, Ortiz told some reporter that he thought his Dominican amigo was off in Turin watching the Olympics. Faaantastic. The thing with Manny is that I almost believe David Ortiz wasn't kidding when he said that.

Manny is scheduled to arrive in Fort Myers on March 1. Knowing Manny, he may or may not show up. He probably doesn't even know what day of the week March 1 is. We're talking about a guy who was breastfed until he was five years old. He's a few bananas short of a bunch, as seen by his frequent trips inside the Green Monster while play is going on, and wearing an MP3 player on his sunglasses to listen to music during a game... etc., etc.

I have tickets to see the Dominican Republic play Australia in the World Baseball Classic on Friday March 10 in Orlando. I bought the tickets initially as something fun for George and me to do to kick off Spring Break. He loves Manny. I hate Manny. But we both love David Ortiz-- so that's pretty much why we bought the tickets-- to see Ortiz. Now that Manny is out, it kind of sucks for him. But the way I figure it, we'll still get to see Migui Tejada, Vlad Guerrero and a host of other cool players. It looks like we won't be seeing Pedro though, which is kind of a bummer. I haven't seen Pedro pitch live since August of 2004. Regardless, we'll be the two who don't speak Spanish out in the lawn waving the Dominican flags.

I guess deep down I'm glad Manny isn't playing. Since he's reporting a week late to Spring Training, I think his punishment should be to have to partake in all the stretching, fielding drills and batting practice while a lot of his teammates are off representing their countries in the World Baseball Classic. From the standpoint of a Red Sox fan, Manny needs to spend time in Fort Myers, reconciling with his teammates who aren't participating in the WBC. He alienated himself from the entire team this offseason by demanding a trade, and now that a trade involving ManRam couldn't get done, he's going to have to stick it out in Boston. (And as a sidenote, how could this guy possibly have come to play in Boston and not realize that a lack of privacy was going to be an issue? What a dumbass).

I still hope the Dominican Republic wins the WBC. I think they have a good shot, especially if Pedro pitches in Round 2. If I were the Mets, I wouldn't want him pitching. I'm very worried about my Sox players suffering injuries in this tournament. It would be just our luck to lose Jason Varitek for the season with a home-plate collision. Now that I've said something, watch it happen.

Well that's enough incoherent ramblings about baseball for tonight. I am in the middle of re-reading Moneyball for a trend story that I'm writing for JOU 4308 on sabermetrics, and I should get back to my reading. I'm excited because Bill James, Eric Van (Red Sox employee) and Rany Jazayerli (founder of Baseball Prospectus) have all agreed to talk to me. I'm calling Rany tomorrow to do a phone interview. I'm very nervous... mostly because I have no idea how to pronounce his name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home