Saturday, March 04, 2006

Spring Training commences

I've been getting behind with updating this thing. I'm working on a lot of stuff for classes. Anyway, my Sox have dropped their first 2 Spring Training games. I really couldn't care less. I think Spring Training is meaningless. It's just a way for young guys to prove they belong on the team, for fans to get acquainted with new faces, and the new faces on the team to get acquainted with each other.

Spring Training for the Sox began on Thursday night. We lost to the Twins 6-3. We had a scary moment in the first when SP Jonathan Papelbon took a line drive off his foot. It was bleeding, Curt Schilling style. He stayed in the game, and Tony Graffanino bailed him out with a sweet DP ball. Pap finished with a line of: 1.2 , 4 , 2 , 2 , 1, 1 and left the game having thrown 37 pitches. Papelbon said in a WEEI interview after the game that he thought at first his ankle was shattered, and he would miss 3-6 months. Luckily, it appears the injury is nowhere near that serious.
Coco Crisp ended up 3-3, a homer shy of the cycle. I'm really expecting BIG things from him this year. I think he's going to be a solid replacement for Damon and then some. You watch, Red Sox Nation. Coco Crisp is going to pleasantly surprise you-- and I'm never wrong.
David Murphy, Theo Epstein's first draft pick, if I'm not mistaken (too lazy to look it up), finished with 4 strikeouts. If he's trying to earn a spot on the team, it's not working.


Today, we dropped a game to the Pirates 7-6. This one was on NESN, and it pains me that I couldn't watch it. Edgar Martinez took the loss. It looks like mostly scrubs started the game. Nice to see Loretta go 2-2 though. Alejandro Machado had 2 ribbies on a hit. Arroyo started the game, going only 1.2 innings, giving up 3 earned runs on 5 hits. Not so hot, Bronson-- maybe he played a show last night? The only other pitcher of any significance who threw was Craig Hansen, who walked two, K'd 1 and gave up no ERs.

So, if you're keeping score at home, we've started spring training 0-2. It could be worse-- we could be the Yankees, who are 0-3. Like I said, ST is pointless.

In other news, Manny actually showed up last week. That was awfully nice of him to take time out of his busy schedule to report to Spring Training. I wonder what the hell he was thinking, or if he was thinking at all, for that matter. I'm not sure much goes on upstairs in the head of Manuel Ramirez.

I'm starting to regret buying these Dominican WBC tickets. It seems like the Dominicans lost their entire team in the span of a week- Manny, Pedro, Vlad Guerrero and Aramis Ramirez all dropped out last week. At least we're still going to see Papi and Albert Pujols, which will hopefully make the 2-hour drive to Orlando worthwhile.

And I think this story is pretty crazy-- the Yankees actually put up a sign in Spring Training to apologize to their fans that all of their superstars are gone competing in the World Baseball Classic. I don't know how to do link things in this blog, but there is the story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2006/news/story?id=2354461

What a ridiculous, Yankee-like thing to do. These players are off representing their respective countries, and the Yankees are whining and bitching about it. Probably because they think less fans are going to buy tickets to Spring Training if Jeter and co. aren't around. The fact that my two favorite Sox players, Tek and Papi, won't be in Spring Training isn't stopping me from going to 2 games over Spring Break. I wish George Steinbrenner would just hurry up and die. (Yes, it's my blog, and I can say things like that).

I'd continue rambling about baseball, but I want to watch the Duke-UNC game. It's the only rivalry in sports that comes close to New York-Boston.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home