Saturday, May 20, 2006

Watching the Sox...

I'm currently watching a nifty pitchers' duel between Josh Beckett and Brett Myers. Both starters look good so far. (knock on wood)

I litteraly just typed that and Chase Utley hit a homer to break the 0-0 tie. I loathe myself.

I haven't caught a lot of Sox games recently because I've been working and trying to spend a lot of time with some good friends who are leaving for the rest of the summer. My dad's been in New Zealand too, and baseball is rather boring to watch by yourself. Especially when my dad and I are a great tag team at moaning and bitching about how much the Red Sox suck together. (Yes, we're in first place, but we're still Red Sox fans).

Aflack trivia: Which 2 Phillies OFers have won Gold Gloves? Bobby Abreu is one. Don't know the other.

In non-baseball news, please keep your thoughts and prayers with the beautiful horse, Barbaro. My guess is they're going to have to put the poor thing to sleep. He's got a nasty break in his hind leg. He came up lame during the first few seconds of the Preakness, ultimately spoiling another Triple Crown chase. ESPN reports that with the kind of fracture that the horse has, a human would have to spend six weeks in bed. Obviously with a horse that is impossible. It would be a shame if he had to be put down.

I think the Triple Crown has got to be the hardest feat in all of sports to accomplish. Forget winning a World Cup, sinking a hole-in-one, or even hitting for the Triple Crown in baseball. In horse racing you have one shot to do it. One. The courses are all completely different. The Preakness is relatively short and built for fast sprinters. In the Belmont, the longest of the races, you have to run 1 1/2 miles. And you have to accomplish the feat in a five-week span. There's a reason that it hasn't happened since 1978. Obviously, it's been a lot longer since someone hit .400 (Williams, 1941), and nobody has accomplished the Triple Crown in baseball since 1967 (Yastrzemski). But can you imagine only having one shot in your entire life to accomplish a sports feat? I guess that's why I think the Horsies Triple Crown is tougher.

Regardless, send positive thoughts to Barbaro.

Garry Maddox was the other Phillies OF to win a Gold Glove. Duh. He won a whole bunch of them in the mid-70s.

The Sox cannot hit Myers. This sucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home