Friday, July 28, 2006

Tough loss tonight

Sox dropped to only a half game up on NYY with an 8-3 loss to the California/Anaheim/Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Not only did Jon Lester pick up his first loss of the year, but we had to sit through a two-hour rain delay to watch it happen. Wouldn't be Friday night at the Fens without rain though, would it?

I know that the Angels are a very good team, and I'm probably overreacting, but I really can't see this team making the playoffs with the rotation they have right now. Schilling is our only ace. Yes, Beckett has just as many wins as Schill, but I just don't have that overwhelming confidence in Josh that I have when Curt takes the mound. Lester's just a kid. He's not a legit no. 3 starter yet. Unless Wakefield and/or Wells come back with some serious authority, this team will miss the playoffs.

I'm also not opposed to trading away some of the blue chip guys for Dontrelle Willis. How about Hansen + Ellsbury and a scrub for the D-Train? I'm not sure the Fish would take that bait though. I've heard Zito's name thrown around. I Don't like that idea at all.

The Sox apparently offered Coco (who is looking more and more worthless every day) to the ChiSox for pitching, but were turned down. Speculation is the pitcher was Brandon McCarthy, who was supposed to have been involved in that Soriano deal that never got done (yet).

Buster Olney has been the go-to guy at ESPN for trade rumors. It's times like these when I really miss Peter Gammons. I feel like you have to take everything those idiots at ESPN say with a grain of salt, Gammons being the only exception. If you're out there, Gammo, get well soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home