Friday, April 07, 2006

Game 4: Sox 14, Orioles 8

Well, I thought I was safe leaving the house with the Red Sox up 11-0. I guess I didn't account for the Rudy Seanez factor. He just continues to suck-- the 2006 version of Mike Remlinger, if you will. Because of his craptacular pitching, the O's jumped back into the game. Seanez has now given up 6 hits in 2/3 of an inning, or three hits per out. Now that is what you call ineffective middle relief.

Francona left Clement in an inning too long tonight (story of his 2005 season), but other than that the guy looked fantastic. His line doesn't look that great on paper (7 innings, 9 hits, 4 R all earned, 1 BB, 7 K), but keep in mind almost all of that damage came in the seventh inning. Before that he was mowing down one Oriole after another. Clement improved his record to 5-0 all time against Baltimore.

The Sox offense got to Daniel Cabrera early. I fell asleep somewhere in the first inning during all of the walks, but they scored 4 runs in the first, 3 on bases-loaded walks, and one on a sac fly with the bases loaded. Cabrera walked 6 in the first alone. To say that he had no control would be a bit of an understatement. The Red Sox offense saw an astounding 223 pitches tonight.

Manny finally decided to contribute to this team offensively. He came in at 1-11 on the season, and went 3-4 tonight with 2 RBIs and a walk. Welcome to the Red Sox, Manny. He came up twice with the bases loaded today. I know he's sitting at only a few off of the all-time record for grand slams. I think Gehrig has the record. I'm too lazy to look it up though. I think he's two or three off though still. Ramírez has 20 in his career.

Some of the subs got to see some playing time tonight with the blowout. Francona took a lot of starters out when the game was at 11-0, Sox. Adam Stern, Alex Cora and JT Snow all played.

I like the way that Tito used Foulke. He came in the ninth with the Sox up 6 runs. I think Foulkie needs to get some confidence back before he's ever named closer again. I hope to God Papelbon stays in that role all season though... and not just because I told three different people last week to pick Paps up. Foulke hit 86-88 mph on the radar gun tonight, and his body language and location looked a lot better than Game 1.

Schilling posted a gem of a quote today on SoSH. I'm not sure how in the world he posted this, since it was during the eighth inning of the game, but he was talking about how back in the day he predicted to a journalist that BK Kim would be one of the best pitchers in the majors.

"You got me, sort of. I now remember the quote, and the hard part to convey is that anyone not in uniform that didn't know him would have a hard time understanding the 'if' part of that comment. BK was as physcially talented as I said, if you could have seen what I saw in 2000 when I first went to Az you'd have agreed. He never changed, he never listened and he never adapted. I have never seen anyone get more shots and have more people at the ready to help when/if he needed it than he got. Nor did I ever see anyone basically say 'f you' to every single person that took time and put in effort to make him better, ever. Josh Beckett and BK belong in the same breath like Curt Schilling and Mariano Rivera, it's not even close, no comparison."

Good to know where Curt thinks he stands. He needs to stay off the computer during games. Hopefully he'll have a good start tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home