Sunday, March 19, 2006

some Boston-related ramblings and Spring Training

Continuing over from the Willie McGinest entry, I thought the statement that he released through his agent on Friday just epitomized his class. He said:

"I would like to thank the New England fans, players, media and organization for all of their support during my time with the Patriots. The last 12 years of my life have been nothing short of spectacular, and there will always be a special place in my heart for the Patriots. That being said, I am extremely excited about starting a new chapter of my life in Cleveland. To all of you in the New England area who have laughed, cried and celebrated with me and the Patriots over the past 12 years, thank you. I will always cherish those memories, and I will miss you."

Perhaps Johnny "Judas" Damon could take a few pointers on how you leave Boston with dignity and class. All Johnny did was run his mouth and pour salt in our wounds for a month before he decided to take out an ad in The Globe thanking us. Too little, too late, Johnny. I wish I could be at Fenway when the Yankees first come to town, so I could stand up and boo that man. Guys like Dave Roberts, Derek Lowe, Bill Mueller and even Pedro Martinez will never have to buy another meal in the city of Boston again. It's not too difficult to leave Boston on good terms with the fans-- especially if you've helped win us a World Series for the first time in 86 years. Unfortunately, Johnny managed to completely tarnish his reputation here by not even thanking Boston fans at his NYY signing press conference.

At the Blue Jays-Sox Spring Training game yesterday, this guy walks by with a shirt that says "JOHNNY SUCKS" and "TRAITOR 18" on the back. He got a standing ovation from Sox fans. I'm sure he bought it from those same vendors who hawk t-shirts like "Posada is a little bitch" and "Jeter sucks A-Rod" to fans outside Fenway Park.

The game was quite fun though. If anything, it's nice to be surrounded by obnoxious New Englanders who don't pronounce their Rs and think "wicked" is an adverb to describe anything. And by obnoxious, I mean completely charming. I wore my "Real Women Don't Date Yankee Fans" tank top and got quite a few thumbs-ups and smiles. One Yankee fan stopped me and said, "Aw, isn't that a shame?" The same guy was drilled by a foul ball in the stands a few innings later... proof that God does indeed hate the Yankees.

The game was wicked hot. Most of the snowbirds couldn't last the whole game because the sun was just beating down on us. As acclimated Floridians, we toughed it out though, with the sunburns to prove it. We saw Santa Fe High School's own Lenny DiNardo pitch 3 scoreless innings (39 pitches). Lenny needs to have a good year because he's one of only two LOOGYs that we have. (That's Lefty One Out GuY if you aren't savy with baseball abbreviations). DiNardo picked up the win, allowing only two hits, while striking out two.

The Sox, and I use the term loosely because most of these guys won't make the Major League roster, got to Blue Jays' starter AJ Burnett early. I don't have an inning-by-inning recap, but they scored 2 in the first on a collection of hits by Adam "O Canada" Stern, Willie Harris and JT Snow (who by the way, wears the coolest number in baseball, 84, in honor of his dad).

Snow and Stern had awesome games, although Snow's ended early when he was ejected by the home plate umpire for arguing balls and strikes. He wouldn't stop yapping after his K, and when he went to take the field to play 1B the next inning, the umpire ejected him. You really have to try hard to get ejected in a Spring Training game, but Snow managed the feat.

Seeing Enrique Wilson was pretty f-ing funny. I will always equate Enrique Wilson with the infamous night with Manny Ramirez at the Ritz Carlton. Manny was "too sick to play," yet someone in the media found out that he had been out drinking with Wilson, a Yankee at the time, the night before. I don't expect Enrique Wilson to make the team, as we already have 2 capable third basemen in Lowell and Youkilus. Wilson had a homer off Scott Schoeneweis in the 4th inning, as did Adam Stern. Stern finished a triple short of the cycle. He's having a hell of a Spring Training, if you count how he played with the Canadians in the WBC. Good for Adam. He'll compete with Dustan Mohr for the fourth outfielder (Trot Nixon contingency plan) spot.

The pitchers we saw for the Sox weren't spectacular. Dave Riske, who we obtained in the Coco Crisp deal from the Indians, was terrible. He only managed 1.1 innings, allowing 4 hits, 4 ER and walking two. He's having a pitiful Spring Training.

We also saw Rudy Seanez, the well-traveled setup man who the Sox signed this offseason. Seanez pitched one perfect inning, striking out one Blue Jay.

Other than that, the game was fairly uneventful. AJ Burnett did leave in the top of the second with an apparent injury. I read later that it was an elbow problem. An MRI today showed no significant damage though. Regardless, he pitched like garbage in the first inning against the Sox, and I hope that continues on through the 2006 season. Color me crazy, but I think the Blue Jays made a big mistake in giving him a $55 million, five-year deal.

Pictures from the game are on my dad's digital camera. If they turned out good, I'll add them later. So if you're one of about three people who read this blog, come back and look for an update sometime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home