Wednesday, March 15, 2006

In football news...

Image hosting by Photobucket

I know that this was supposed to be a baseball blog, but there isn't much exciting going on in baseball except every Red Sox pitcher sucking some serious ass in Spring Training.

The Patriots lost Willie McGinest today, and I'm really bummed. Willie Mac was a Patriot for 12 seasons. We non-bandwagon Patriot fans, who have been following his career since he was drafted, are feeling this loss pretty hard. Christ, I remember writing a poem about how ferocious a linebacker #55 was in the seventh grade. He and Tedy anchored the defenses that won us three Super Bowls.

Willie will be reunited with big Ted Washington, and of course the one and only Romeo Crennel in Cleveland. I can't say I disagree with the Patriots not matching the salary that the Browns are offering-- I think it's $12 million over three years, plus $6 million dollars in bonuses and guarantees. The Browns have the money to spend, few upcoming, young free agents to deal with, and most importantly-- the need for a guy like Willie behind the scenes. You really can't knock Cleveland, Willie or the Patriots for this deal happening.

From the perspective of a fan, I truly hoped the Patriots could have helped Willie retire in New England, though. As cliché as it sounds, he always played with his heart and soul, and he never pulled any of that Terrell Owens holding-out bullshit. His presence will be missed in the locker room more than anywhere, in my opinion.

The Patriots also lost David Givens to the Titans, for money he is well worth to them and not to us. He'll be missed too, but not as much as 55.

Now all we need to do is work on re-signing ADAM VINATIERI (a MUST-DO), and extending Richard Seymour and Deion Branch. I swear on my life, I will start questioning my loyalty to this team for the first time in years if we let Adam Vinatieri slip away.

Now back to your regularly-scheduled baseball blog. I'm off to Spring Training on Saturday to see the Minor League Red Sox take on the Toronto Blue Jays. It should be good fun. Also, the Gators open their SEC series against Arkansas this weekend at the Mac. Come out and support your Gator baseball team as they defend their SEC title.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home