Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Kick 'em while they're down.

The win over the Yankees last night was sweet. Beating the Yankees always feels good. But I'm no moron, and I know the team we hammered last night is not the Yankee team we'll be facing in September and (knock on wood) October.

I was at the Alligator from 7:30 p.m. until well after the game ended, so I only caught bits and pieces in between copy editing various softball/golf/baseball-related stories. I had to fight Josh for control of the AlligatorSports television. Seriously-- Yankees/Red Sox or Spurs/Mavs. Yankees/Sawx wins out any day :)

I honestly didn't know the Yankees even had Terrence Long in their minor league system. Then I hear his name when he was involved in the play when DeMarlo Hale held up Mark Loretta at third when he should have sent them. Was anybody getting Dale Sveum flashbacks?! I know I'm not the only Sox fan who was waving Loretta home and then dying in horror when I saw Hale putting up the Stop Sign. I remember Terrence Long from the 2003 ALDS in Oakland. I distinctly remember Ramon Hernandez dropping a bunt in Game 1, rendering my staying up until 3 a.m. when I had school at 7 a.m. pointless. Remember that series? Then everything came full circle when Derek Lowe struck Long's ass out to end Game 5, setting up the 2003 ALCS with the Yankees.

That was a tangent. Anyway, the point is that the Yankees are playing with scrubs like Terrence Long and Melky Cabrera, who according to resident Yankee expert Erica, once ducked to get out of the way of a fly ball in the outfield in the minors.

As I said, a win is a win though, and Schilling picked up No. 199 in his career last night. He was incredibly dominant, and the only reason that the final score is close is because of Keith Fucking Foulke, who gave up four earned runs on five hits in the top of the ninth. Thank God Willie Harris and Alex Cora knocked in a few insurance runs in the bottom of the eighth, or I would have been really sweating bullets. At this point, Josh had changed the channel to the NBA game and I was following the Sox online, so you can imagine my horrow when I'm seeing hit after hit after hit register on my screen.

Remember when George Steinbrenner was paying Ramiro "The Embedded Yankee" Mendoza to suck so badly for the Red Sox? My theory is that they are doing the same to Keith Foulke this season. It's not even safe to use him in mop-up duty anymore. From now on I only want to see Timlin and Papelbon ever in games where the Sox are up by less than 10 runs.

Typical Alex Rodriguez hit a home run when the game was already over. The game was at 9-1 when he hit a two-run home run. The Baseball Tonight crew showed footage of his home run, then proceeded to call A-Rod "very clutch." Luckily one of the other guys (not sure who) added that Manny and Papi hit home runs when the score is 2-1, whereas A-Rod hits them when it's 9-1. Just pointing out who the real MVPs are... don't mind me.

Tonight it's Jaret Wright (1-3, 4.94 ERA, 1.54 WHIP) versus Tim Wakefield (3-5, 4.17 ERA, 1.32 WHIP). Looks like a mismatch on paper especially taking into account Wake's consistent dominance over NYY... but I guess that's why you don't play the games on paper. Looking at Wright's splits, lefties seem to be hitting him a lot better, and Ortiz has a lifetime .385 BA/1.092 OPS in 13 at-bats. Sheffield should play tonight. He hits Wakefield decently. Giambi, who can't seem to figure out the knuckler to save his life, will probably get a day's rest. According to the Post, Joe Torre is also considering sitting Posada for Kelly Stinnett tonight, because Stinnett and Wright have worked well together in the past.

Should be another good game tonight. Go Sox!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home